Thursday, October 30, 2008

I feel like a librarian!

I created metadata today!

When I took Search and Discovery (my very first library and info science (LIS)) class last summer, the experienced students seemed to always be talking about "metadata" and arguing with each other about whether it was valuable or not. It sounded like a very complicated, very technical thing.

We've gotten enough LPs and their album covers digitized that I can start loading them into CONTENTdm, which is the software that organizes the Iowa Digital Library and displays it on the web.

Part of loading CONTENTdm is creating metadata.

I've been learning CONTENTdm and then going through the tedious process of getting all the rights and approvals set up to be able to use it. (Actually, *I* didn't have to do that, Keo did. But it took several days.)

Anyway, I loaded an album into CONTENTdm, and set up the metadata. It was fun!

No comments: